domingo, 14 de fevereiro de 2010

Auto-therapy Or how to survive if you're alone

A while ago I felt like I was stuck in a dead end where my life kept going forward, the days rolled by yet I couldn't shake away the sadness, the frustration, the everlasting questions why did it happen, how do I cope?
I basically had a good life with a new amazing boyfriend, the best friends in the world, a job that I liked, I wasn't depriving myself of anything I wanted and still I was blue, lonely and felt like crying 99% of the times. How screwed up is that?
I'm no drama queen, actually on a normal day I'm pretty assertive, focused, determined but there was something messing me up big time, rooted deep in my soul, pushing me back... I knew what IT was, I knew I had to move forward, I just couldn't, really. So after over a year trying (fuck, I just realised it was almost 2 years actually...) on my own to snap out of the stupidity I came to terms with my own failure and admited defeat.
For those who know me this will sound improbable, but I was considering going to a therapist. I even searched the net for one in Manchester and sent emails enquiring aboyt prices and methods, but I have to admit I was scared shiteless... talking about my deepest problems to a complete stranger felt somehow humiliating... so I rehearsed in front of the mirror and made myself speak out loud, pour my heart out into words and tears (mostly sobbed words in all fairness).
I said it all, I cried myself out and I felt better, relieved, lighter... auto-therapy had worked but it wasn't until I saw my reflection in the mirror that it hit me... I looked so old, darkened and bitter... I knew it was certainly time to regain control of my life, IT had taken too much of me already, stole way more time than ever deserved, so I cleaned the tears, made some new life decisions (pretty much like new year's resolutions) and slept peacefully for the first time in a long time.
I can't remember when this happened exactly and I am not gonna lie and say it's all been smooth sailing since then because it hasn't... I still had more tears to cry and more problems to overcome, and sometimes I still consider going to therapy, but I am working on it and so far so good!

2 comentários:

Unknown disse...

Good for you!!! I wish i could do the same!!I am missing the boyfriend but i do love my job!!!And i have great friends (although they go AWOL sometimes)...
Maybe i shoud try... Oh yeah,i did...didn't work for me but i'm glad it does for you!!!

Angie disse...

WOW!!!! Como isso me é familiar!